Saturday, April 08, 2006

Fun in Downtown Corvallis


Tonight HHusband and I were delighted to hear the Oregon State University trombone choir give a concert at the First United Methodist Church. Oh, my. They were everything you would want to hear in a trombone choir. I hope to hear more of them, and the rhythm section that accompanied them on The Pink Panther. Their rendition of Let There be Peace on Earth was inspiring. I would like to hear that played regularly everywhere. They ended with the theme song for double oh seven. Their bass trombonist was quite amusing. Such an powerful concert. I think the leader's name is Henry, and he said they would soon, as in maybe a couple of weeks, have a web site, and it would have some sound bits to listen to.

Before the choir, we were at The Darkside Theater watching the new Neil Young movie. A very good movie and a good concert. When Neil Young found out he had to have brain surgery, he put on this concert before hand, and recorded it, then afterwards, when the operation was a success, he added some more bits. We always see people we know there. We are so lucky to have this theater in Corvallis. It is locally owned, and going there is always a pleasure.

Not only did we have a wonderful evening of conerts and movies, but the day started off with beautiful weather perfect for admiring the new blooms on the gravenstein apple tree.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You attend all the wonderful places : )
I hope you will post a link to the trombone choirs sound bites. I bet none of their horns were recalcetrant.
I was a lovely day wasn't it?
yf,
ch

Unknown said...

IT!! It was a lovely day... dog gone it...
I was a lovely...sheesh.

brsmaryland said...

What a great day of culture. Sounds like fun. I've never heard of a trombone choir before. I bet the movements are as interesting as the sounds. We are seeing Hamlet today - the last play in our season tix at the theater company at the local community college. HHusband is not looking forward to a 3 hour play. Maybe I should do a little research on the internet. I'm not up on my Shakespeare.

Lena said...

Peace On Earth...wouldn't it be wonderful if that were the World's anthem? I didn't know there was such a thing as a trombone choir! So interesting...I'm learning so many new things from visiting this fine place you've created. Another euphonious evening! I love Neil Young. Wild Horses is still a favorite of mine. I turn it on some days to help me clean house. Maybe I should do that today! Clean house I mean. :-(
Our cherry tree is glorious right now...if the sun ever comes out again I'll take a picture.
I saw Hamlet with a nude Ophelia in 1974.

Lena said...

Oops! I'm soaking in my infamous clawfoot bathtub, when suddenly I think oh no! I meant to say Neil Young's Crazy Horse...not Wild Horses! My day is not off to a good start..time for more coffee.

Vita said...

That's right, Mrs. Staggs. More coffee is all a day needs. HHusband read my blog and started making more delicious coffee. ~Blush. Mrs. Hippy, will you teach me how to add links? How was Hamlet, Mrs. Maryland? Wow! What a progressive Hamlet to have a nude Ophelia. Sounds distracting!