Sunday, April 23, 2006

An Earth Day Night at the Musical


Last night Darling Daughter and I saw the high school production of Music Man. We had a very good time and lots of laughs. It was surprising how many of the actors and musicians (because they had a real orchestra in the orchestra pit, which was just the floor in front of the stage) I recognised, as well as members of the audience, like Golda from Fiddler on the Roof, and Frank Butler from Annie Get Your Gun, both community theater productions, and several people from the last year's high school production of Oklahoma! That's a sense of community when you recognize people you don't even know. Everyone loved the opening scene of The Music Man, where a bunch of salesmen reading newpapers on the train were talking about cash, and whadayatalk whadayatalk whadayatalk and knowing the territory and Harold Hill. Oh, and speaking of celebrities in the audience, I also spotted Michael Charles Smith, the tuba player who's running for US President in 2008. I saw on a list of things at the Earth Day doings downtown, which I wish I could have memorized, but it was too long for me, that attending local events is a way to build community, and building community is also a good thing to do on Earth Day, so going to The Music Man was good for our Earth.

3 comments:

brsmaryland said...

Sounds like fun! My father goes to the high school plays every year. He loves watching the students perform. They live across the street from the school so it is easy for him to attend. This year the show was Caberet. He liked it so much, he tried to get tickets for the next showing to bring my niece but they were sold out!

Lena said...

I always enjoy High School musicals. Last year I saw a wonderful production at the youngest Mr. Staggs high school and many of the actors were young people I've known since they were 6 yrs old. So much fun! I wish I could remember what it was...but it was really good, wonderful sets too! Shoot....what was it called?

Vita said...

I wonder if you noticed, Mrs. Staggs, that I borrowed the band's picture from you?