Monday, March 20, 2006

Help! Goose Attack!

You will no doubt be glad to hear that trees are all civilized-looking and the prunings are not only picked up but carted off. HHusband and I got outside early, because the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day, and we wanted to get the sticks up before there was a change. Everything went very smoothly. All the neighbors waved as they drove by, and all was quiet and peaceful, with bird chirpings and tire noise as cars drove by in the distance. Just us and the twigs having a lovely morning. Then there was a horrible yammer that kept getting louder and louder. We looked up to see the geese were repositioning themselves by heading right over our house. I was watching the stragglers trying to flap into goose aerodynamics position, and wondering if they'd make it when I was distracted by SPLAT! A cold wet feeling and thunking sound simultaniously assalted my senses as one goose got me on the arm. I was thinking about goose leavings as I was standing under them, and wondering if they left as much when they flew as when they are wandering around on the ground. My conclusion is that they leave it in a more scattered pattern, and it was a somewhat rare honor to be so marked by that goose. I might as well try to make the most of it. I washed off my shirt, washed my arm, and changed my shirt. We got to the PRC or RVP or RCP or RPC or whatever it's called, across Hwy 99W from Coffin Butte where they recycle yard scraps into compost, so early they weren't even open yet. We've never done that before. Because we hadn't had breakfast, we got some popcorn and coffee at the AV Market in Adair and had a picnic while we waited for the recycle place to open. Peaceful, warm, a morning to remember.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are my favorite writer!
To think... being honored by goose poop...very cool : )
You call it the recycling center, I call it the dump. I've never been there before, though the kids have with their dad. I'll see you later!

Vita said...

Not the dump. It's across 99 from the dump, and down the road, past the bird habitat. We had to wait for more geese to get out of the road so we could drive in. It was fun watching them fly.

Lena said...

Oh Dear Vita...a morning to remember indeed. I'm so happy to see you writing and can hardly wait to visit with you again soon...here in Blogville!

Vita said...

I found a picture and added it, but it only shows up in the profile, not nice like M. Hippy's, everytime M. Hippy posts something. I really like that, the way the picture shows up. What do I have to do? Wait! When I looked at this on Preview, there was the picture! Might it actually show up???? Now I will see!

Vita said...

Oh, joy! Oh! Rapture. There is my nice picture.

Lena said...

Lovely, picture Dear Vita! Keep at it!

Unknown said...

Is this your summer cottage?