Saturday, September 02, 2006

Beware the Poison Oak

The shiny chrome and red BSA is HH's. When I got back from Klamath Falls, the first thing HH did was ask me if I could go to Fred's Honda to buy a motorcycle he'd picked out, which is a non-fancy, non-expensive 650 Honda Night Hawk. He's thinking now of keeping it for his daily runabout, and selling the W650. DD is Devistated, because she says the Kawasaki is her favorite of her dad's bikes. We all like the W650, but he has already had it longer than he used to keep a bike. I liked it because it's a 2000 and he had a bike he could take trips on, and I wouldn't worry about him breaking down and not being able to get parts, which I worry about with his old Brit bikes. He says he has the BSA Lightning running really great.

Anyway, down in Klamath Falls, my oldest brother and I the middlest, got to join our youngest brother (French horn) in a rehearsal and concert with the Klamath Symphony. What fun. We all got to sit in a row, French horn (one of 2), bassoon, trombone (one of two), and there was a shortage of trombone parts, so now and then I'd play 2nd bassoon, and once both us trombones played along with the cello, except there were 3 cellos instead of the one that came to rehearsal, and the director told us there were trombone parts, and it was a shame we didn't have them, because it was a good part, but people are pretty casual down there about getting their parts turned back in. I think it was the 1st time we'd all three played together.

Now I'm in a panic to make room for my mom's baby grand piano here in my tiny house that is chock-a-block crammed full. I got rid of two boxes of books and it didn't even make a dent! You'd think that would make a dent. OK, I'd think that. I'd already planned to get rid of books (sometimes it's a wrench) to make room for the piles of music on the Bagley Cannery Box shelves, but now I'll probably have to get rid of the boxes all together? I don't know. That's the sort of furniture I have in my bedroom, too, with more books. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Oh, I nearly forgot. We're planning to go out and do battle with the yard today, with all it's vile noxious weeds.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun Vita! Do you have poison oak in your yard? We don't and I wonder why...
FP is down in Eugene today. My DD and I are going to do some caches after she gets of work. Maybe we'll be in your neighborhood : )

brsmaryland said...

How great to play in the symphony with your brothers! I'm sure it sounded wonderful. Good luck cleaning out. Little dents will eventually result in big dents ;-) A baby grand would be so grand.

Avus said...

Bike Heaven! Your old man sounds a bit like me. Over a motorcycling life I have owned (some transiently) 43 bikes. I used to buy and restore old Brit bikes when you could pick them up for a song and make a few quid selling them again - but old bike prices have now got silly. There are still a lot of bikes I would like to experience, but now semi-retired I have had to pull in my horns and just settle for my reliable old BMW and a little Honda Trailie XL 185. I agree that the W650 is a real reliable retro-classic. I am sorry to say that, as long as it is German or Jap, old bikes go on for yonks OK - old Brit bikes? I know exactly what you mean! they can certainly make life interesting and you meet the nicest people when you break down!

I wish I could get rid of books, my shelves are now stuffed full and it's hard to slot in new ones. Trouble is, they are all old friends and I get pleasure just looking at their backs up there on the wall!

I sometimes weed out a few for my wife's church bazaar, but usually take them back again. Worse still, I get lumbered with running the book stall at the bazaar and buy yet more.

Vita said...

Yes, Dear CH, we have Poison Oak in our yard, and I'm not exactly sure where. It's lurking. Anyway, all HH did yesterday was mow the lawn, starting with my new baby rose, which is no bigger than the pretty yellow dandilions blooming in the yard, and all I did was trim it up to get rid of the mangled bits. BSM, yes, it was great. I trust the dent buisiness will progress to make a SPOT 5x5 feet, with room for a seat. A, I'm trying to convince myself the library will keep books for me, even though I know it's not true, as they have to get rid of books all the time to make room for more, despite expansions. HH converted the second garage into a shop for his hobby. He's holding on to a basket case Triumph because buying it was a mistake, but he figures the price isn't going down, and eventually it may be worth as much as he paid for it. (He bought it off ebay.)