Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What Day is It?

Remember the poison oak? Well, my poor daughter has been attacked by some. We don't know where she got it. I think it showed up Monday morning a week ago, or Sunday night while she was sleeping. Poor baby! My best guess is she got it while looking at her uncle, my brother's goats after his daugher's wedding the Saturday before. It was a beautiful wedding, and a good party afterwards. The blissful couple went for a Carribean Cruise for their honeymoon, but had to fly home early because of Hurricane Dean.

DD eliminated all the cats and kittens she'd been playing with, because she didn't start hanging out at the cat and kitten house until after the rash had shown up. First we thought it was just an allergic reaction to her medicine which she was taking for pneumonia, which is all cleared up now. But yesterday after her visit to the doctor, the verdict was Poison Oak! Poor darling girl. Now I'm afraid of her laundry, and every itch I get sends shivers of fear coursing through me. Yikes! I am not as brave as my DD.

MIL took up most of last few days because her potassium levels dropped so low (we know not why, but she's vowed to eat a whole banana every day from now on) that she hadn't the energy to stand up. It took several hours to convince her she needed to take an ambulance ride over to the hospital. As weak as she was, those ambulance guys got her to laugh. She has such a good attitude! She's back home now and feeling better than she has in a long time. Yaaaa.

Finally I got another chance to ride my new bike. HH went, too, and went slowly enough for me to keep up, sometimes even too slow. We are V lucky to have some very fun bike paths around here and we can circle around several ways without covering repeat ground. Isn't that lucky? And it's all lush and lovely, with blackberries, rose hips, playgrounds, a duck pond with ducks (one of them singularly ugly) plus it's fun to get out in the evening with HH. Fun fun fun.

Yesterday HH and I were driving back from dropping DD off at a lesson when we had to stop for a very handsome deer just standing in the road looking at us. Driving. That reminds me, I'd better get going. Ta ta for now.

4 comments:

BoggyWoggy said...

Yea! A new ost! I LOVE your writing, Vita!
Oooo..poison oak. I get it EVERY summer, even though I am very careful. As a kid, I became so ill due to poison IVY on the east coast that I had to be hospitalized. My Uncle Ronald almost died after breathing in fumes from a boy scout campfire that had the crap in it! I guess we all have to be victims to something, right?
See you Thursday! (did you read your wee-mee message?_

Avus said...

Hope daughter gets better soon.
Good to see you are keeping up the cycling. I find I am doing more cycling than motorcycling these days - it seems so much more relaxing and "gentle".

Lena said...

Jeepers Vita!
Tell DD that I hope she's better soon. I hope your MIL improves soon. It's sure been a year or two, hasn't it?
Can you wear gloves to do the laundry?
You are lucky to have your wonderful bike paths. Ours are nice, but not near as nice as yours. I have to come back up the hill, which is impossible for me now. Patty said she has a stationary bike she's going to pass on to me. It's a start.
Take care of yourself too.

Rosa said...

Poor dd. Pneumonia and then poison oak! That has to be the worst. I allergic to all poisons (ivy and oak) and all I have to do is be around it or around someone who has it too. She has been through the ringer. And your MIL, poor gal. I am on a potassium regimen myself. Go figure. I sure hope everyone is well soon. Must just be the heat. We'll just blame everything on the heat, ok? Those bike rides sure do sound like an adventure. How fun. I love your little poetry at the beginning with the truck that held the bike. Nice truck too, I amy add. A real beaut!