Monday, October 09, 2006

A New Week


Ah, here it is, Monday morning. A new week. A new chance for perfection. The photo was taken yesterday on Mary's Peak by HH. He said he was taking his bike around the block. That's a euphamism. Since this bike is from 1942, I consider it less reliable than the 1984 Honda Nighthawk, so send him off with the cell phone when I can. He said the WLC handled as well as anything he's ridden down Mary's Peak. Hmmm. I wish you could see the carburator of the Nighthawk right now. It is all dismantled, its parts laying in orderly fashion on a red shop towel on the custom work bench of rolled steel HH had made for his shop. It looks like one of those exploded drawings in a shop manual, with little lines pointing like the typewriter on my last post, except there are no lines, and it's not a drawing.

Yesterday we visited Heidi and MIL. Heidi has gotten wilder and more energetic, biting and licking with manic energy and ferver. She is still very pretty, but less inclined to tire. She loves toys that squeek, and is a good fetcher. We make the toy squeek, then throw it, she chases and brings it back, where she shakes it silly in front of us so we can admire her tecnique, and when she's ready she backs off for the designated tosser to take charge. MIL says she knows the words "tug of war," their favorite game.

7 comments:

Avus said...

What a great looking bike! I bet it makes a beautiful sound (kapocketer, kapocketer?)Is this what is known as a "knucklehead"?

Vita said...

Hi. You should see it in the early early morning, with just the spot of the driveway light easing the darkness, along with the headlights and tailight, with HH in the saddle, waiting for it to warm up enough to go, the two white bits on the fender outlining what's there. Breathtaking. It's not a knucklehead. It's a 45 (inch) [that's relatively small] flathead.

HH used to have a Fat Bob shovelhead that pretty much made the kapoket kapocket sound, and I could tell it was him from inside a croweded loud busy Portland restaurant or anywhere, but now he has so many bikes, and two neighbors have bikes like two he still has (though he's found a buyer for one), and I sometimes get confused, and I don't hear as well as I used to, and can't remember one cool sounding bike from the next. I'm losing my touch.

Avus said...

Your evocation of the bike in the early morning was poetry, pure and simple.
Don't worry about losing your touch! Just enjoy the sights and sounds of all great "sickles"

herhimnbryn said...

Poetry indeed!

Lena said...

It is a beautiful bike!
Happy belated birthday to HH, hope he enjoyed his day!

JULIEK said...

Thank you for visit my blog. I´m only write in norwegian but I use a lot of pictures so I hope you enjoy them. Nice bike you have : ) Julie K

Darkmind said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.