Saturday, June 27, 2009

Confused and Slow


This photo was taken by Himself of Someone Else on a club ride called "The Longest Day Ride". It was cold. The subject is warming his hands with the heat from his BMW's engine. Himself was happy to get soup and tea when he came home.

They aren't the Confused or the Slow. I'm that. I'm so confused. I think it's July, but it's not. I've been thinking that for weeks. I wonder what will happen to me when it really is July. Will I think it's June? I went to my doctor and she said getting off the gabapentin (for shingles damage to nerves) will probably help me be myself, so I'm getting off.

Yesterday Himself took me on the Gold Wing to Newport, where we saw the Pacific, watched a huge fishing boat dock at the cannery, drank coffee and wandered around, then took the river road to Toledo where we got gas and dinner. Poor old 1984 Gold Thing, it has 269,000 miles on it (we bought it new) and now a wheel bearing is making clicking noises. It's just now getting needy. Last month he replaced some fancy power transferring gear, but mostly the Wing just runs and runs with no complaint and no interference from humans except to ride it and gas it up. He says he thought he heard it before, but wasn't sure. He always wears earplugs when he rides. This time, even I heard it, after he pointed it out to me.

6 comments:

Avus said...

That's what I like about my BeeEm too - the horizontal cylinders are great for warming gloves.
Mrs Avus has always wanted me to get a Gold Wing, but I have always wanted only to own bikes which I can pick up myself if they fall over! Your old faithful is certainly doing very well - 269K and only a wheel bearing needed - can't complain about that!

Vita said...

Our old faithful did fall over one time, and it was fully loaded with tent, sleeping bags and clothes, but it had crash bars that kept it up as well as protecting the engine, and a very sturdy luggage rack. Himself grabbed the handlebars, I grabbed the luggage rack and "Ta Da," it was upright. I can't push that bike around, though, like I can the others. Newer Gold Wings are even larger, and ours is the completely bare kind. He added the luggage rack, the saddlebags were made for a horse (the ones we took camping, anyway), the sleeping bags were in a Navy duffle bag. So much lighter weight than those big Gold Wings with all the stuff on them!

brsmaryland said...

I certainly was spoiled being a passenger on a Gold Wing as my first motorcycle experience. The others we've owned have been nice, but nothing beats the comfort of the Wing. 269K is mighty impressive. I wish we were able to hop on a bike and be to the ocean. Sounds like a wonderful day together.
I'm getting all confused too. I'm chalking it up to age or having too many things on my mind. I think I need a vacation.

Vita said...

Oh, dear. I guess I'd better 'fess up. I remembered incorrectly. The milage on the Gold Wing was only 215,000. He started buying other bikes and he rides them all, and that cuts down on how much the poor old Gold Wing gets ridden, but it's still super wonderful. I'm looking for a photo of it when it was bare. It's got some custom saddlebag suitcases on it now.

BoggyWoggy said...

I wish I had this awesome hobby...

Lena said...

I've always liked the BMW, but I'm not a fan of Goldwings. I always feel a bit like I should just go ahead and put a roof over my head when I'm riding one. I like a motorcycle that makes me feel like I'm really riding with less, so that I'm aware of more....although I suppose some would same, yeah, your rear end! LOL!

I hope you've had a good summer and that you are feeling much better now.

Lena