Friday, February 01, 2008

Sure, I'll Do It


In Community Band we're playing the 4th movement, Via Appia Antica, of The Pines of Rome by Ottorino Respighi, which begings with a Roman Legion marching into Rome after victories in the East. They're tired, and feeling the weight of the journey, and the piece begins with tubas and low brass. My part is measure after measure of a repeatted quaver/eighth note only playable on my horn in 7th position. AS helps me keep in tune, BS says I have to be excited about it, BC says I have to blow fast, and SM says I have to stay with the tubas. I think it's the hardest thing I've done, and I need all that help. I try to psych myself up thinking of Avus and trying to picture his shiny armor all dusty from the long trek. When I first saw my music, I thought "They've got the wrong part, it's a drum part," and I was right about it being a drum part, but it's for trombone.

I think I have something every night but next Sunday for the next 2 weeks, and I'd better get friendly with my calendar now, so I can see which performances of Hello Dolly! I can make. I'm going to be in the pit. I will have to take up afternoon napping, since I guess I'm already committed. That was soon after starting with the new community orchestra, and thus sitting too close to BH, who talked me into playing for Hello Dolly. I'm not so sure about the advisablity of my actions.

4 comments:

Lena said...

I think, that you have good instincts, Vita and that when you "listen" to yourself, any part that you play, will be done well.

Thank you for being my very good friend.

Avus said...

Love the Harley, Vita.
AS to "tromboning" - I guess you and my son-in-law Al (http://cinemal.livejournal.com/)
have a lot in common (he plays jazz)

brsmaryland said...

Wish I could be there to hear you play. I'm sure the Roman march sounds amazing and we'd all be able to see the Legion marching back to Rome while you played. It's nice having supportive people around you too.
I hope you and your calendar have a good time these next couple weeks!

BoggyWoggy said...

Sounds like a challenge you'll be able to look back on with joy!
I'm so glad you had a new post! I miss yu!