Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Needs Love


I am inspired by all the photos Avus and Boggywoggy have posted of bicycles, as well as the pictures of Sir Edward Elgar with a Sunbeam posted at Little Corner of the Earth, so here's one of the bikes on our patio, sadly sitting with no wheels, but with a history. It came from the same shop in Massachusetts as the Sunbeam S7, back in 1947. I recognized the photos of Elgar, because we got books as well as bikes when we bought the Sunbeam. The bike pictured here is not a Sunbeam, but a BSA. Poor little thing.

It is the time of year when bands and orchestras play Elgar's music, particularly Opus 39. We're playing No. 1 and No. 4. I feel I should mention that 1 is arranged for band by Paul Sterrett and 4 is transcribed by M. Retford, revised and edited by Alfred Reed. We're doing something else by Reed. Ah, yes. Alleluia! Laudamus Te. Good stuff. All right, quiz time. What is the name of the pieces Opus 39, No. 1 and No. 4 that we are playing?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Puh-leez...too easy!! : )

Michael Smith said...

39 = Pompous Circus Dances?

CCB should dig out Enigma Variations.

Vita said...

Ha ha. Yes, it wasn't meant to be enigmatic.

Speaking of enigmas, brilliant idea. It would be fun to play arranged Enigma Variations with CC Band. We missed you at rehearsal.

Avus said...

Poor thing is right. A 1947 BSA,lady's model, but was fitted, it seems with a pre-war 3 speed gear (the gear lever is definately much older than 1947). Seems all there except the wheels and is eminently restorable (but not so glamorous as the "Beeza" featured in your previous post!)

Concert sounds a great programme - can I come?

BoggyWoggy said...

I'm so out of it. I know mountain bikes. Once, my husband and I met people on-line a ended up driving to Ashland to meet them in a bar. We raced them down Mt. Ashland on bikes. I witnessed my first "tacoed" wheel!

Oh, and, well, I'll get back to you in regards to the quiz. Now, where is Google when I need it???

herhimnbryn said...

I wonder about the history of the bike. Who, where , what and when?

Vita said...

History
Who-Harvard guy who bought Sunbeam motorcycle new, or his wife did.
Where-Massechusetts

What-What your Dad said. 3-speed ladies BSA bicycle with pre-war 3-speed gear lever, and no wheels.

When-More iffy, now that I've heard from your dad. The son of the original owner sold us the 1947 motorcycle his dad bought new, and added bike to boot. Guess this bike is older than 1947 so don't know exactly when, but it's from the same shop.