Wednesday, March 23, 2016

It's Spring



What fun.  I get to play with a brass and pipe organ group for Easter.  Rehearsal was last night, and there are two trombones.  I got the fun part for the Gigout Dialogue, which is the Trombone part.  The other guy got stuck with the Tuba part and apologies.  He got the best parts on everything else, but nothing else is as good as the Gigout.  So Lucky Me!  What fun!  It's all fun, really.

HH got the Laverda all working and pretty and put together.  He has a bench seat, too, which isn't as nice, but he says he'll put it on and he take me for a ride after he does some more tweeking.  His test drive was 50 miles, and he wasn't satisfied, though he said it was great.  He's ordered a few more parts and grumbled about how he should have done this and that the first time.

I'm pretty excited because he's talking about maybe getting a fun little car, like our old Metropolitan (which was built on a big-eye Sprite chassis), only different, but which he sold.  I've been saying how I miss it, and was surprised and delighted just to hear him talking about getting something similar.  I'm open to suggestions, but whatever he finds will probably become It.  If I'm lucky.  I find things, too.  I found the Metropolitan and the Avanti that we we used to have.  Can't hang on to cars like we can motorcycles, because cars take up so much room!

4 comments:

Vita said...

I need a better editor.

Avus said...

That Laverda looks one beautiful bike, Vita and I guess you are itching for a ride on the back.
I remember the Austin Metropolitan (if that is the model you describe). It never sold well in UK and soon was discontinued - I think it was made with the American market in mind.
An MG (TF model), made in the mid '50s, early '60s would be my wish, but if you want fun in a little, fairly modern open top a Mazda MX3 would fit the bill.
My son-in-law plays 'bone in an Australian jazz band.

Vita said...

Ah! He's playing again. I'm very happy to hear it. He's lots better than me! (I saw a video once, years ago.)

Yes, the Metropolitan (formerly Nash Metropolitan) had terrible brakes, but was oodles of fun. HH has his eye on something, but hasn't sold any motorcycles yet to make room. Well, he's sold all the Moto Guzzis, but I don't think that counts. All means two. We want a little bitty sedan, not an open top. Very rainy here. Also, more room inside sedans for trombone and kit. We're still thinking late 1950s. Something like a Standard 10. Oh, boy!

My dad failed once to buy an MG TF, and regretted it so much he bought every single interesting car he found after that, which included 3 Morris Minors, one Jaguar MKII sedan, one DKW, and one 357 Porsche hard top convertible, which a brother still has.

Avus said...

Seems like your dad bought cars like I used to buy motorcycles! Incidentally, I finally got around to posting about Ariel Square Four tools.