Tuesday, April 20, 2010

April Showers Bring Slugs


This morning Himself took Heidi out for her first "exercise" of the day a little before 5:30 a.m., and good thing, too, because it soon started pouring buckets. He took off for work on his 13th (not all of which run) motorcycle, a relatively modern Suzuki. Maybe from the 80s? Oh, dear. Anyway, it was wet when he left, and here I am having finished my two cups of coffee, still waiting for pages to load, and the clothes drier to quit. Why does itunes keep popping up? It's a mystery to me.

I felt guilty setting new plants out yesterday, because I'm sure the slugs probably ate them last night, and if not, they'll probably finish them off this morning. I believe I need to buy a new little blue star creeper, because I see no sign of it now. If only these showers would spread themselves out to cool off some of the hot summer nights, then probably the slugs and the flowers would fair better.

This little bird is sitting on her nest in the parking lot of the repair yard where Himself works. He took us by to see them. The enterprising employees set some traffic cones around the eggs to protect them from being crushed by huge and heavy construction equipment.

5 comments:

Lena said...

Hi Vita,

The answer to your question is May 19th.

How sweet that the guys are protecting the bird's eggs. I always find it interesting where some birds choose to nest. Often it seems to be in very perilous places.

I love blue star creeper. I used to have it growing between some stepping stones going into the back garden. I hope it comes up this year. It's so pretty when it has really spread.

I don't have many slugs, but I battle the snails. They will decimate a garden, so my sympathies are with you.

Vita said...

Mine had grown to at least a square yard, but it seems to be gone now. It's little stems are so tiny I think it's easy prey for the heat.

brsmaryland said...

Sweet bird!
We don't see slugs here till later in the summer. I hope they bypassed your plants, opting for your neighbors plants instead - ha!

Vita said...

I just found an apple blossom lying on the ground, not up in the tree where it might become an apple, and it looked like it had been attacked by a slug. Do slugs climb trees?

BoggyWoggy said...

Oh, Vita...how you fill my senses with your thoughts.