Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hot July Morning


Whew! We are supposed to reach 101-degrees F today. DD is sitting for rabbits this week, and is worried about them as they are in cages outside. A neighbor, possibly the one feeding the fish, had draped a sheet over the bunnies' cages for shade, and DD gives each a frozen water bottle to cuddle. They may need two bottles today. Dog next door is being left in our care again this weekend. She's a dear sweet golden retriever, and we enjoy her company. Hope there's no lightning Friday night, as she's scared of it. Weather predicts possibility of it.

Why did this adorable half a Vincent run out of gas? I forgot why. There WAS a reason. HH and OVM club members were riding around on beautiful Columbia River old highway. HH was riding his BSA B31, and doubled back after filling up his tank to let Vincent here siphon some with his curly blue plastic hose. You can see through the hose so you can tell when the gas is coming and don't need to swallow any, though hose is too curly to siphon without suction. HH doesn't bother with fancy methods of siphoning.

That reminds me of my brother. One time he was siphoning, and got some (ew!) gas in his mouth, which he immediately spit out, but then, to get the taste out, he grabbed a handy Coke bottle and took a swig--unfortunately for him, he had earlier drained some engine oil into the Coke bottle. Yikes. He has, I think, learned from this experience to be more discerning.

6 comments:

Lena said...

I'm thinking of you in your hot weather and hoping you stay cool. The rabbits too. I remember reading when we had our rabbit, that heat is very difficult for them to tolerate.
I like this bike. Classic looking is my favorite sort of anything, I think, but especially cars and motorcycles. I was telling Mister Staggs the other day, that I don't understand why less expensive vehicles can't still look simple and tasteful like that.

Unknown said...

Hi Vita, that is very interesting that your mother lived in the Wolf Creek Tavern. I had lunch there one day and took a tour of the hotel. The furniture in the rooms is all old and beautiful. I would love to spend a night there sometime.

I am not liking the hot weather down in Roseburg either. Hope your rabbits don't suffer too much.

BoggyWoggy said...

One time there was a contest for the grossest story anyone could call into a local radio station. This guy called and said he was preparing his boat for the Spring season and needed to get the big tarp off of it that he'd put on last Fall. There was a large collection of water on top and he had to siphon it off before he could lift the tarp! I thought that was going to be the gross part...the icky, algaed water! But, no! Turns out the hose he was using was full of a nest of earwigs! As he sucked, about 50 of them ended up in his mouth and he swallowed some! Ugh!

Barb said...

So many people forget about animals in the heat. I'm glad you're on top of things!

Avus said...

Hey! What a joy to return to after holidays - a Vincent! (albeit a Comet rather than a Shadow). I will let you into a secret - my second son's (see "New Gold Dream") middle given name is Vincent in honour of that glorious motorcycle.
I was siphoning fuel one day when I coughed and it ran up my sinus tubes, both sides - it was like liquid fire and I thought I would die - certainly clears the tubes, but I do not recommend it.

herhimnbryn said...

What a beautiful bike....elegant.
Tell Avus I remember the fuel syphoning!!!!!