Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Evil Monster Yard


There is a lot of this stuff hiding in my yard. It's poison-oak. I was just trying to yank up a few weeds yesterday, knowing that stuff was in there somewhere, when I pulled one up and my hand drifted back and brushed against some of it. Ack! I put my handful of weeds into the compost bin and went inside to wash wash wash wash wash wash endlessly wash with Tecnu. Ack! Did I touch that with oaky fingers? I don't think anything but the back of my hand was affected, but what if I'm wrong? Worry worry worry. Clean everything off with alcohol. HH and DLD were waiting waiting waiting, because I was waiting for them when I was distracted by the weeds. I should have stood idley by the auto. HH says he'll pour gasoline on the poisonous monsters. Clever Neighbor says "use crossbow" which sounds a lot saner than using gasoline to me. Gotta use something, though, because it can't be pulled or burned. It keeps it's poisonous effects for ages after it's dead...a year or two. I will have to look it up. Clever Neighbor pointed out another big batch of it I hadn't seen yet, because it was in with several other things that had similarly shaped leaves. We have a lot of volunteer oaks, Hawthorns and blackberries. I will have to show DLD the new batch. Ugh! .....worse than Ugh!

6 comments:

BoggyWoggy said...

I HATE poison oak! I think it, like mosquitos, is the most worthless piece of (*^^*)known to mankind...besides our current president, that is! Hee, hee!

Avus said...

I had not heard of this before - don't think we are cursed with it here. Just looked it up on Google and it sounds a real beast!

Vita said...

Hi, oggywoggy. Isn't it just?! Oh, and har har har yes.

Hi, avus. Lucky you. Neighbor predicted we'd be getting stinging nettles next. You have those?

Lena said...

I imagine that just the back of your hand is enough! I've seen other people affected terribly by it after hiking ect. and it looked so awfully miserable. I didn't realize that it was so hard to get rid of.
I have felt stinging nettles before! Ouch!

Avus said...

Stinging nettles - yes. But they are fairly innocuous. You get a painful rash off the leaf, but it only lasts for a few hours. Nature provides a cure with Dock leaves, which usually grow nearby - crush them and rub on the rash for alleviation.
As kids we used to chase each other with nettles - stems are harmless - only the leaves sting.

BoggyWoggy said...

I ate stinging nettles during a "survival" class at OSU. We cut them into small chunks (the stems) and boiled them in hot water. Yum. No sting, however...